Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Bringing in the New Year

The end of year is fast approaching, and with that it’s time to start thinking about those New Year’s Resolutions. Last year, I made good on a few including joining Toastmasters. At the time of my resolution last year, I had not been to a Toastmasters meeting. However, shortly after the first of the year, I kept my commitment alive and found a neat link online that provided all the information on clubs from around my area: Toastmasters Find-a-Club. I spent some time on the site, and then made a simple spreadsheet from the information I collected so that I could see what clubs offered the times and the days that worked best for me. I also paid attention to anything the clubs might specialize in. I tried a few before visiting and then joining the Top of Texas Toastmasters Club.

I’d recommend to anyone who’s on the fence about joining, to just go and visit some clubs. In addition, be sure to visit the Toastmasters International website. Remember also that you can usually visit a club anytime. Once you join, it’s helpful to observe and watch others, and pick up on different techniques, however subtle they may be.
Fall 2014 Humorous Speech Club Contest winners
Ken Dorsey and Regina Clay.

I understand now that Toastmasters is what you decide to make it. The opportunities are definitely there. The group at Top of Texas that I chose to spend my Saturday mornings with is gracious, encouraging, and fun to be with, and not afraid to offer up some good tips and critiques to help you improve.



For me, Toastmasters has been one of the best resolutions I’ve made good on! I got involved, and managed to earn my Competent Communicator certification this past year. By participating heavily, I have opened enough doors to peer in and see just how much I have to learn, and how much is offered.

I’ll need to figure out what my Toastmaster resolutions and goals are for this coming year very shortly. And let’s face it, bringing in the New Year is always one of the prime times we have in life to toast!

Submitted By
Ken Dorsey

No comments:

Post a Comment