Thursday, December 18, 2014

Communication Skills Overlap Personal as well as Professional

This past year I managed to get my Ham Radio Operators License (I’m now officially KD5DFW). I also attended some interesting courses and became a member of the SkyWarn team so I can now (as officially as I can see to make it) have an excuse to chase tornadoes should I ever get the urge to do so.  I also joined FISTS to help preserve Morse Code and I’ve participated with online learning and contests. Finally, I took some courses and joined CoCoRaHS (with a name like that who can resist), and now participate with Community Collaborative Rain, Hail, and Snow reporting via my backyard. There are so many interesting things available to us these days! 

However, the one thing I also did this past year that I must mention as the headline of my memberships is that I finally attended and joined a Toastmasters Club. I procrastinated over taking the initiative to do this for 20 years, primarily because I wasn’t sure how to, and I didn’t offer up the time to learn how. Yes, I am kicking myself I didn’t do it sooner. 

If you enjoy learning and improving your knowledge and skills, you really need to check out Toastmasters. The opportunities are many and they are what you make them. Those I’ve met through Toastmasters are involved just like me in that they are enthusiastic about succeeding with improvement and helping others improve. If you are concerned about speaking, know that the pressure to speak is what you make it. You join Toastmasters to learn and improve and the club provides the perfect outlet for you to do just that! No pressure to speak and everyone wants to help you feel comfortable. 

Of all the skills I can think of, being able to speak and articulate your thoughts well has to be at the top because communication is not only a key to success in business, it is also imperative to be able to communicate within a relationship. I’m quite sure that many relationships suffer because of the inability, fear, or avoidance of communication. We often think of communication as key to being able to climb the corporate ladder, but I’d take it a step further up that rickety ladder and state that we must recognize that communication is also key to life and your relationships as well. I hope that if you are considering Toastmasters, that part of your consideration takes into account the strong benefit it can have in your life, not just in business.  

And when it comes to learning to speak well, consider this personal motto: “There is no finish line”.

Submitted By
Ken Dorsey









Photo Credits:KN6KS via Compfight cc and Sandra Price

No comments:

Post a Comment