Thursday, June 19, 2014

Teamwork

A Toastmasters Club Mission “is to provide a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth.”  

One of the ways we do that is through teamwork. As Toastmasters, we are almost always working as a part of a team. When we accept a role for a meeting, help plan a contest, even writing an article for the club blog, we are a part of a team. When we are a mentor or a mentee, we’re part of a team.

Sometimes we are the leader and sometimes not. In Toastmasters, you get the opportunity to do both - to lead and to follow. One of the great things about Toastmasters is that you get to choose.

Working as a team makes us stronger, more creative, and more effective. People learn about each other and depend on each other to accomplish more than they could on their own. Often a bond is formed between the members of the team.

Something I like about Top of Texas is the willingness of our members to step up as well as step out. Our members take pride in not only working together as a team within our club but also helping with district events and responsibilities.

Personally, something I have not done well in the past is to work well with a team. When I joined Toastmasters though, I was introduced to a different attitude about working with others. The good examples I've seen in my club and in my district have helped me grow as a person and as a Toastmaster and I am grateful for all those shining examples of service.

Sandra Price, DTM

No comments:

Post a Comment