Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Baseball Season!

Just this past Saturday I was very fortunate to go to the Texas Rangers baseball game against the Houston Astros (spoiler: they lost).  Baseball is a very new interest for me, so I struggle with players' names and some of the terminology they use.

When I say "new" interest, I mean that I never understood why anyone would sit and watch such a long game, especially when most of the game is spent watching the pitcher throw the ball, all for a play that can last a second.  As a matter of fact, The Wall Street Journal published an article about a year ago saying that only 18 minutes of a game is actually gameplay.  "Why would people sit and watch this?" I thought -  until recently.

Sometime last year, a coworker of mine eased me into the sport and showed me why baseball is captivating.  He wouldn't force his interest on me, but he would always talk about unique plays.  I have an extremely open mind, so I listened, and that open mind introduced me to, in my opinion, one of the most fascinating sports to watch.  Have you ever seen a triple play?  It's breathtaking.  Have you ever seen a team, down by four runs in the bottom of the ninth, hitting four home runs in the row, later winning in the extra inning?  It's the stuff the edge of your seat was made for.

Baseball is the sport where anything can happen.  It's the sport of strategy, it's the sport of spontaneity, it's the sport of team spirit!  If you're not into baseball now, talk to someone who is.  Their enthusiasm will have you hooked.  As an added benefit, it's the perfect time to gain a new interest because opening day was less than a month ago.  You'll have so much fun until fall.

DeAnna Wolf

Photo Credit: june bugg via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment