Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Science Fiction!

Saturday's meeting was definitely an interesting one, with Sandra taking on the role as Toastmaster with the theme, "Science Fiction."  Science Fiction, Sandra noted, is where the "impossible becomes possible," much like with Toastmasters.  Many of us who join Toastmasters, including myself, join to overcome the fear of speaking in public or to make leaders out of ourselves when we feel those skills may not be present.  Those who make the leap out of their comfort zone do in fact make the impossible, possible.

Jeff held everyone's attention with his interpretive reading of Five-Star US Army General Douglas MacArthur's speech, "Duty, Honor, Country."  I was so pulled into his reading I almost didn't make any notes!  Certain sentences still reside in my mind, the way he read that the Soldier is the "noblest development of mankind" and "the leaven that binds the system of our nation's defense."  Jeff had, to me, fantastic tonality, and this speech was a great fit for him.

On to Table Topics!  Dudley led the questions with his own unique twist.  I rambled my way through the question, "What planet would you like to visit and why?"  I love his questions, but my favorite question of them all was, "What would be your tools to battle evil?"  The questions are more interesting than the responses!  [The answer to the first question is "Jupiter" and the second is "my own wit."]

To recapitulate, the meeting was entertaining thanks to all of our speakers and Sandra, and we had two guests.  I hope they come back because there's more where that came from! Thanks to all for attending.

DeAnna Wolf

Photo Credit: Sky Noir via Compfight cc

No comments:

Post a Comment