Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Haven't Broken Any Resolutions Yet!


It’s one week into the New Year and I haven’t broken any resolutions yet!

Now I’ll admit that I haven’t actually made any yet, so that doesn't sound so impressive. One resolution I've made often is to read all of Shakespeare’s plays in one year. I haven’t succeeded yet, but nevertheless I try every year. I’m going to need all 12 months because there are 37 plays!

Other resolutions don’t need as much time. In May of 1989 I resolved to quit smoking, and in about six weeks I ended a 20-year, pack-a-day habit. I believe that being mentally ready and planning a strategy were crucial to my success. I also enlisted a support group of friends.

I could probably plan a strategy and get Shakespeare knocked out in 2014. But then I wouldn't be putting it on my list for 2015, and I rather enjoy telling people that’s my resolution.

Kicking the smoking habit was different. Every time I failed to keep that resolution I damaged my health and shortened my life. When I finally made the decision that this was something that I wanted to do for myself, that put me in the right place mentally so that I could succeed.

If you’ve made an important resolution for the New Year, especially one that involves being a better communicator or leader, put yourself in the right place, plan your strategy and call on your friends. Top of Texas has all that you need to succeed. 

Jodie Sanders, DTM

Photo Credit: Lincolnian (Brian) via Compfight cc 

No comments:

Post a Comment